Friday, November 28, 2008

Brandi??? Are you in there somewhere??

I'm going to tell you a little story about my "fun" adventure on Tuesday. I went into the dentist at 1:00 because I had a bump above my front tooth in my gums. A couple of years ago, either Kaid or Kenn (can't remember), head-butted me and hurt my tooth. It started to turn a little gray so I had to have a root canal done. I thought everything was taken care of...end of story. So, when I went into the dentist's on Tuesday, they took an x-ray and then he came in and said there was nothing he could do, he had to refer me to the Endodontist (root canal specialist). They made an appointment for me that day at 4:30. So, I went in to see him and he did another x-ray. He immediately numbed me (in the roof of my mouth and in my gums above my front tooth...eyes were already watering at that point) and then started to drill a hole in the back of my tooth. All of the sudden, I felt the worse pain I think I have ever felt. My whole mouth was burning, throbbing, aching, feeling like it was being sliced open...what the *!?$ was going on????? He proceded to tell me what was going on...basically, the infection in my tooth exploded like an open pop can and that was what I was feeling along with exposed nerves. So, the pain seemed like it lasted an eternity...tears were streaming down my face, I was shaking, heart beating sooooo fast. There really was nothing they could do but let it all drain out. Meanwhile, they packed it with loads and loads of medicine to kill the infection, packed my tooth and then it was finally over. I sit up, basically hyperventillating at this point and he tells me what happened. Whenever you have trauma to a tooth like I had (headbutting...or for some people its caused by your braces moving your teeth too fast), it breaks the barrier that holds your tooth's cells together. He said he likes to call it "cancer of the tooth" except its not cancer. Basically, your own tooth cells eat your tooth. So, mine caused two 22-gauge holes PLUS absorption (infection) in my tooth. He told me that I was going to swell and maybe get a little black and blue. He gave me prescriptions for an antibiotic and a small pain killer (safe for pregnant women thank goodness) and told me he would call to check on me that night. He also said to go fill the prescriptions right away because the infection was so acidic it would eat right through the novacain that was in my mouth already. So, I got out to my car and could already fill the pain coming. I was seriously still shaking and balling at that point. I drove to the pharmacy and filled my prescriptions and drove back to my parent's house, still stunned with the whole experience. I took my medicine, grabbed an ice pack from the freezer and waited for the pain killer to kick in...nothing. Meanwhile, the swelling GREW and GREW...and GREW. I had numerous visitors from family and friends...all not being able to help the laughing and staring. My face was and still is so distorted, you couldn't even recognize me. The doctor called a few hours later and told me all my symptoms were completely normal. He said my mouth suffered so much trauma, my swelling would double in size and then turn black and blue. Boy did it ever. Miller and his Dad gave me a priesthood blessing, which completely put my mind at ease. I am so thankful for the priesthood in my life and for a wonderful husband who takes such great care of me...he rubbed my feet, took care of the kids, got me my medicine and ice packs, took me to the Bagel Bakery to get some soup (don't worry, I didn't go in. However, I did get some stares while driving down the road). What a crazy experience!!! I wasn't even able to get my root canal...the doctor is hoping the medicine will work and in three weeks he should be able to do one...crossing my fingers! So, here are some pictures...Miller took them every chance he got :)

This is right after I got home...icing it
an hour and a half later...
My gums...black and blue
A couple hours after that...
Side views...

Before I went to bed...
The next day...don't mind the "non-shower/no makeup/hair not done/pure ugliness"...I only slept about 2 hours that night...so painful! Don't you love the "perma-flare of the nostril"???

I am feeling a lot better now...still very swolen...but black and blue now. I'll take a picture tomorrow. I stopped taking the pain medicine yesterday because it really didn't do anything. We were going to do family pictures too...WOW, that would have been bad!

14 comments:

*LaUrA* said...

Oh Brandi!! Oh Brandi!! Oh dear I am so sorry! Oh man I cringed and wanted to curl up in the fetal position when you were describing the pain...I am soooo sorry!! You weren't exaggerating a bit..I would have no clue who you were if I just saw those pictures by themselves somewhere. I can't believe all the trauma that was had in your family...you..Miller...your sis...but you are right...being close to Momma is medicine in and of itself when stuff like this happens. I hope you are back to your normal self soon and that you feel better! But it also isn't fair that you can still be pretty with a deformed face...how does that work?

and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! on #3!!! that is REALLY exciting!! I bet your kids will be going nuts with anticipation...they are a good age to get excited...not to mention be tremendous helpers...your little Kennedy will definitely be a little mommy!

Sorry for talking so much...it is 1:30 in the AM and I can't sleep...so I thought I would blab at you instead;)

Matt & Ali said...

HEY!!!! So sorry about that terrible experience with your mouth!!! That stinks big time!!! And how exciting about being pregnant!! Your little family is so dang cute already can't wait to see what the third one will be!!!
love
Ali

Con & Vicki Haycock said...

First of all I can't even think about the pain in your mouth. Hope that will get better really soon.
And CONGRATULATION on the 3rd McMillen!! that is so great. Hope you are feeling okay. I love your blog and your kids are so dang cute!!!!!Vicki

Anonymous said...

Brandi! I am sorry!!! That looks so painful!!! I hope you are feeling better now! I can't wait to see you guys tonight!! Love you!

Jason, Amanda, Brayden and Dillon said...

Holy Smokes Brandi!!! I had no idea that could happen! I am so sorry....hope you get better! And I had no idea you guys were expecting....CONGRATS!!!! Hopefully you feel okay....yeah for you guys!!!

Shane and Amy Jo said...

Oh man...what a story! I'm so, So, SO sorry!!! That one will defintely go down in the books!

Hooray for another adorable little McMillen! You guys have such cute kids...it would be a shame not to have another! I sure hope you are feeling well. Can't wait to follow you throughout the pregnancy!!!

amanda said...

oh my gosh! is that for real?! how the heck can something like that happen?! i am so so sorry for you...what a horrible experience. and then congrats on the baby on the way...i had no idea. hope you feel better quick!

Our Unique Family said...

holly cow brandi I am so sorry teeth issues are the worst..! Congrats on the new addition, thats cool... three I don't know if I will be brave enough to go for a third we will see. Happy holidays!

(me)linda said...

Dang Girl! What a memorable Thanksgiving eh!? I hope you don't have all the morning sickness on top of it all. How exciting to have another little person on the way though! Kaiden and Kennedy are so cute...it'll be fun to see what sex you end up with this time.

amber said...

WOW I seriously could not believe it when I was reading it......then I saw the pics and died!!! That looks so painful and to put being pregnant on top of it you are one tough cookie! Congrats on being pregnant that is so dang exciting! Do you know when your due date is? Hopefully you are feeling better and thank goodness you have such a good hubby to take care of you... Soak it up! :)

Rob said...

Oh it was quite a bit worse than I thought. So it was so good hanging out with you this past weekend. You're always the one everyone loves to be around even with your swollen face. So I was planning on emailing you the pics of gingerbread houses but I left my camara at bob and celeste's house. Sorry. See you guys at Christmas!

Jana Dille said...

How's your lip doing? I'm due June 1st. I was looking at your baby ticker and I think you are exactly one week ahead of me! How fun is this. You have a boy and girl and so do I, that would be funny if we had the same thing again!!

Dixie & Markus said...

I could hardly read this story!! My eyes almost started watering just thinking about what happened to your mouth!! Ow EEE!!
It's crazy, but you still look beautiful even with a swollen face:)

Ashley and Dave said...

Hahaha! You look awesome! I am so sorry that it hurt so bad, but at least you have some great photos to remember it by!! Oh and CONGRATS! I dont check your blog nearly as often as I used to because I keep forgetting that you are private, so you dont show up on my DANG list!! But I was honestly thinking about you last week wondering if you were done having kids...guess not! That is awesome... I still need to scroll down and see the post where you annouced it! Hope you feel better soon!!